But be transformed by the renewing of your minds...

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lately something has been pressing on my mind and I think it has a large part to do with the fact of where I am in my life right now. I know everyone complains about money problems. I've been one of those people, but why is it that I feel differently about this concept than everyone else.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matt. 6:34

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always interpreted this verse in several ways.
1. There's the literal meaning, do not worry.
2. You have no control over tomorrow so there's no point in worrying about it.
The third way I've always thought about this takes the verse one step further. I've always associated this verse with financial meaning, although, in context, I don't believe it's talking about money.  But doesn't it make sense? I understand the point of saving money and having a fallback, but
3. Money will always be around. You can always make more. So why be in such a rush to have it all at once?
Lately, my family has been really hounding me about my financial means. I'm like most everyone else. I come from a middle class family and I've never been ashamed of that. I'm about to move out, I just got a new car, and I'm in college. Stereotypically I should be the most broke person you've ever met. I guess its just really getting to me that my mom thinks I have no clue how to run my own finances. It's not like I saved every penny I had to go to Germany for a month or something. It's not like I saved from the second I got back from Germany so that I could buy a reliable car or anything. I guess I just don't understand how she can still think so negatively when I've proven several times over that I can do this.

1 comment:

  1. It'll get better - pray pray pray.

    Soon we'll live together and we'll be partying! haah!

    ReplyDelete